August 24, 2020
Mandatory Mask Requirements
Effective today, August 24, masks are mandatory in all public indoor spaces in the province of Newfoundland & Labrador. Any persons age 5 or older entering the BBBS office located in The Village Shopping Centre, are required to wear a mask. If you do not have a mask with you, a disposable mask will be provided. The mask must be worn for your entire visit.
There are some exceptions for people with physical conditions or mental health conditions. For complete information on the exceptions, please visit the following guidelines.
June 23, 2020
Guidelines for Community-Based Matches
We are pleased to announce that we are lifting the hold on “in-person” meetings for existing Community-Based matches. Please review the guidelines below for details.
PHYSICAL DISTANCING – LOCATION OF MATCH ACTIVITIES
As of today, we recommend that match meetings take place in outdoor spaces where appropriate physical distancing can be maintained (keeping at least 6 feet away from other people) and where there is adequate ventilation. There are a lot of activities you can do outside together while maintaining your physical distance.
It will be important to remember the following if you choose to engage in face-to-face meetings:
- Avoid crowded places (gatherings on a beach, busy parks, sporting events, large group activities) where physical distancing cannot be maintained
- Avoid close greetings (eg. hugs, handshakes) We know you’ve missed seeing each other in person but it’s important to follow public health guidelines
- Many places are operating on limited hours or may remain physically closed except for drive thru or curbside pick-up, please note that bathrooms/hand-washing facilities may not be readily available to the public at this time and plan your activities accordingly
- Sanitize anything you take on your match activity before you leave and after you return
- Resuming face-to-face meetings at this time is optional and not a requirement or expectation. If you are not ready to resume, please discuss with your caseworker.
If outings require Bigs to transport Littles the following guidelines must be followed.
- The Little, regardless of age, must sit in the backseat on the passenger side (which is diagonal to the driver).
- We ask for both of you to wear masks or a face covering while in the vehicle (BBBS can provide disposable masks if needed. Contact caseworker for details)
- Bigs, please be extra diligent with hand washing, sanitizing your hands and your vehicle before and after seeing your Little.
- Littles should also practice hand-washing/sanitization before & after travelling in their Bigs’ vehicle.
OTHER CONSIDERATIONS AND PUBLIC HEALTH MEASURES TO FOLLOW
- If you are a person who has any underlying health conditions or is considered immunocompromised, and are not comfortable with seeing your Big/Little just yet, we completely understand. Please connect with us and we will be sure that everyone is aware of the situation and you can continue to stay in contact virtually for the time being.
- As always, outings will be at the discretion of the parent/guardian.
We know this has been a long time without In-person contact and appreciate the effort involved in meeting virtually or by phone and text. We look forward to hearing about your experiences both while your matches were suspended and now that you will have the opportunity to meet in-person once again.
Thank you all for your patience and respect for the safety of one another during this very difficult time. Now have fun! J
Public health measures which have proven to be effective include:
- Stay informed, be prepared, and follow public health advice
- Wash your hands frequently with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds
- Use an alcohol based hand sanitizer in the absence of soap and water
- Do not touch your face
- Practice proper cough and sneeze etiquette
- Maintain physical distancing
- Wear a non-medical mask or face covering when you are in public and unable to maintain physical distancing
- Increase cleanliness and ventilation of public spaces and worksites
- Stay home if you are sick and avoid contact with others
- Thank you everyone for your patience and understanding. Please reach out if you have any questions and please continue to follow public health measures for the safety of yourself and everyone around you.
For the most up to date information about Alert Level 2 visit: https://www.gov.nl.ca/covid-19/alert-system/alert-level-2/
March 17, 2020 (updated March 19)
As you know we are in unprecedented times right now in here in Newfoundland & Labrador and across the globe. Big Brothers Big Sisters takes the health and well being of clients, volunteers, staff and stakeholders serious. As the Coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to impact our lives, we are making some adjustments to ensure the safety of all involved. We will follow directives from federal, provincial and local governments. https://www.gov.nl.ca/covid-19/ We will take direction from Big Brothers Big Sisters of Canada following all standards and protocols. We are closely monitoring the situation and this could change at anytime.
WORK REMOTE IN PLACE
Our office at 430 Topsail Road located in the Village Shopping Centre will be closed to visitors until further notice. Our staff will be working remotely and available during business hours by phone or email. You can find staff contact information on our website:
All programs will be put on hold until further notice. This includes the Community-Based Program (Bigs and Littles) as well as our site-based programs (In-School Mentoring, Go Girls, Game On and FUSE). Staff will be in contact with all volunteers and families to assess needs. Our volunteer Bigs are encouraged to continue to maintain contact with their Littles through telephone, text message, email and the use of face time/skype to provide support. There should be no in-person meetings during this time.
We will continue to provide our regular support to all families and stay in line with all BBBS of Canada standards. Staff may be working remotely but can be reached by calling 709-368-5437 or through their email https://newfoundland.bigbrothersbigsisters.ca/contact-us/. We are also available through social media @BBBSEasternNL.
PROGRAM ENROLMENT AND TRAINING
We continue to accept inquiries for young people and volunteers and encourage you to inquire through our website. If you are currently going through the enrolment process for any program, please connect with the staff person who enrolled you for more information.
Fundraising events are vital to our organization and are the fuel that allow us to support young people and their families. Given the current situation, we have decided to delay our largest annual fundraiser ‘Bowl for Kids Sake’. Our rescheduled date is being carefully considered and we will update you as soon as a decision is made. We encourage our registered teams to continue to fundraise and use our online platform https://www.canadahelps.org/en/charities/big-brothers-and-sisters-of-eastern-newfoundland/p2p/bfks2020/.
We welcome new teams, sponsors and donors as we continue to plan for this event in the coming months.
BBBS is committed to supporting our matches throughout this unprecedented time. Our staff are available via phone call, email or video conference. We encourage you to reach out when needed and we commit to ongoing communication and updates. Know that together, we’ll support each other and the young people who need us most.
Please feel free to reach out if you have further questions or concerns.
Kelly Leach, Executive Director